Thursday, February 3, 2011

Our Newest Family Member

Two days ago, my daughter brought home a very adorable surprise! Her name is Minnie, she weighs about 6 pounds from what little we know, she’s a Chihuahua Wire Fox Terrier. 

Long story short, her owner couldn’t keep her, gave her to a neighbor but neighbor had too many small children who were rough with her. My daughter heard the puppy was going to the pound cause no one wanted her, so she brought Minnie home…

I have to admit at first I wasn’t too sure if I could take in another animal and my top priority is my own rescued dog who is a bit neurotic and somewhat territorial. I didn’t want any behavioral problems developing or any jealous fights breaking out, but I said I would give the puppy a chance.

bathing & caring for new puppy
When Minnie finally arrived, we bathed her, fed her and made her a warm place to sleep. The puppy ran all around the living room, wagging her tail, jumping in our laps and giving us puppy kisses! Her delightful personality won my heart over right away, but my own dog, Terra, was not happy at all!

She gave a low disdainful growl and glared at the puppy intently while her “mohawk” stood up in fear /anger!

I knew it was the wrong way to make this introduction but it was cold & late at night and we couldn’t have a “chance” meeting at the park on neutral ground.

According to the Humane Society, “puppies usually pester adult dogs unmercifully. Before the age of four months, puppies may not recognize subtle body postures from adult dogs signaling that they've had enough.”

aggressive behavior toward puppy
So when the two of them ran amok in the living room, puppy trying to nibble on big dog’s tail and big dog getting extremely temperamental, I separated them immediately and took control of the situation before it escalated.

Many people worry about adopting a second pet. They don’t think they can handle the aggression, the biting and the disobeying nor do they have the patience & knowledge to make the transition easier.

In fact, after watching Cesar Millan, The Dog Whisperer, I knew that the most important thing in a dog family is to be the “leader of the pack” and to always have a calm assertive personality!
 2 rescue dogs
When the tension had subsided, I reintroduced them and allowed them to “sniff” each other in a friendly but controlled environment. Although Terra was reluctant to make friends right away, I could tell that she was trusting enough with my guidance to give it another try.

I know they won’t be bosom buddies any time soon, but I trust in myself to diffuse an alarming situation before it becomes an issue. Dogs need an Alpha Dog and a steady routine to follow & respect.

Fortunately, I’m a stay-at-home mom which is a big advantage for my rescued animals. I can take care of them, train them and give them the attention & love that they need on a dependable schedule. This includes giving my older dog enough quiet time for herself and making sure  her  routine isn’t too seriously interrupted.

It’s important to say that small cats & dogs make good companions and people who live with pets tend to live a longer & much richer life. If you’ve ever considered having a pet, please check your local animal shelter first. There are so many abandoned paws & whiskers, both breed and non-breed that would love to come home with you and give you unconditional joy and sweet snuggles!

As for our newest “furry” family member, we can already see a future full of possibilities… We have saved the soul of a very innocent & loving animal, given our older dog a friend to play & bond with, and have rewarded ourselves with the notion that we’ve done our part of a very unselfish deed!

Minnie is here to stay!!! Welcome Home, Puppy!!!

new puppy rescued dog
      

3 comments:

  1. Aww she is a sweetie.
    I know how it is with fighting amongst the dog's
    mine get along great EXCEPT if there is a bone or a chewy raw hide. Then the trouble will start because Gus the little one eats his right away and then eyes up sable's because she doesn't do anything with it but walk around and try and hide it and he follows her around and stalks her then the fight begins! I have got in the middle twice and got bitten by accident. so no bones unless they are supervised very close and when he finishes his and she just watches her's i sneak it away and no one gets it. Animals are so funny sometimes. I love my dog's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie pie!! I have two male dogs and it took a few days to get them to play together. One is an older, more relaxed dog. The other is a younger, more playful dog. At first, we separated them when we left the house. One dog stayed in one room and the other stayed in a different room. By the third day, I left to go to the local market and came back 20 minutes later to them crying for each other.

    You have a kind soul for taking in Minnie. I'm positive that this is for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for sharing your dog stories with me. It has been 3 weeks already and I am seeing a huge change in both of their behaviors! Actually, Minnie (the little one) has established dominance over Terra and they do sit together on the couch & play outside together too! I am always happy to help animals whenever I can!

    ReplyDelete